Our RSS feed allows you to access Democratic Reform content in a variety of methods at your convenience.
Using an RSS Reader or by integrating an RSS feed into your blog or other interface, you can access updated News Releases in the way that works best for you.
Democratic Reform news headline RSS feeds are constantly updated as updated content is published.
What is RSS?
Rich Site Summary (RSS) or as some refer to it, Real Simple Syndication, is an XML-based format for content distribution in real time. The Democratic Reform RSS feed will include the date, title, summary, and a link to the full news release. If after reading a summary you want to view the full article, simply link to the full document.
Why use RSS?
There are a number of benefits to using RSS, including:
- You select what news you want. RSS allows you to select the type of news and information you receive from websites.
- You determine when you get your news. Once you download your news reader, you can customize it to go and fetch the news every five minutes, or every hour - depending on how you want it.
- Cut down on spam. Because RSS requires you to download a news reader, you aren't subscribing to e-mail lists, which can increase your risk of getting unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
Instructions on Adding a News Feed to Your Feed Reader or RSS Aggregator
Recent Web browsers
Modern Web browsers have an integrated RSS reader. If the Feed button in your Web browser lights up, it means that the site offers RSS feeds. Click the icon to see the feed and, if you want, subscribe to have the feed automatically sent to your computer. When you click the subscribe button, the feed is automatically added to the Favorites Center and to the Common Feed List for sharing with other programs.
Older Web browsers
Older Web browsers do not have an integrated RSS reader, therefore you will need to install a RSS feed reader or aggregator (see links below). Once a feed reader is installed follow these steps:
- Using your mouse, right click on the RSS feed below you would like to subscribe to.
- The pop-up menu that appears will vary based on your web browser.
- Internet Explorer users select the "Copy Shortcut" option.
- Users of Firefox, Netscape, Opera and other web browsers select the "Copy Link Location" option.
- Launch your RSS aggregator or feed reader program and paste the copied URL into an "Add New Feed" window.
Detailed instructions on how to add news feeds are included in the news reader application that you choose. When news releases are issued, you will be alerted by your aggregator. The aggregator will advise you of recently posted news releases when opened. No personal information is required to subscribe to an RSS feed.
RSS aggregators / Feed readers
There are various RSS aggregators / feed readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet.
- RSS Readers for Windows
- RSS Readers for Macintosh
- RSS Readers for Linux
- RSS Readers for Handhelds
- Browser Based RSS Newsreaders
Terms and Conditions for use of the Democratic Reform RSS Feed
- We do not endorse or support any of the products offered by non-Government of Canada sites
- You may display the headlines, active links and other information contained in the Democratic Reform RSS feed (the "RSS feed content") for non-commercial purposes, provided that:
- you do not modify or delete any RSS feed content;
- you do not post Democratic Reform content other than as included in the RSS feeds;
- you do not redistribute the RSS feeds;
- the use or display does not suggest endorsement by the Minister of State for Democratic Reform or the Privy Council Office.
- When the Democratic Reform RSS feed are displayed publicly, including on a website, you must provide attribution directly adjacent to the RSS feed content by including "Democratic Reform Headlines" in text. Any other use of the Democratic Reform RSS feed, including use in a commercial setting or use adjacent to advertising of any kind, requires express written permission in advance.
- We reserve the right to discontinue providing RSS feeds or require that you cease displaying Democratic Reform RSS feed content at any time for any reason. By using the Democratic Reform RSS feed, you agree to be bound by all of the terms and conditions set forth on this page.